Sunday, March 30, 2014

If I Could Teach my Younger Self...


Yep, this is me! 

This is a prompt from one of my writer's groups, and I think it's a wonderful suggestion, a way to look back on my life, on what I've learned, and what I would still like to teach my adult children and little grandchildren in gentle, loving words of advice. When I started writing this post I realized the list is literally endless because that's what life is, one long lesson! There are things, though, that I wish I knew when I was young, suggestions I would make to me. Below I listed a few of these suggestions, or lessons for a younger me. If I could teach my younger self things that I know now, I would teach myself to...


Dance, even when there is no music...


Do your best to make those around you feel comfortable...


Recognize that everything on earth is a gift from God, serves a purpose, and should be protected...


If you always have animals in your home you will always have something to laugh about...


Pay close attention to these creatures. Even in their silence they will teach you little things about life, like when to rest and take care of yourself...


Do not ignore what may seem small and simple. There is great beauty in everything around you...


Watch the clouds--there is magic in the skies...


Take time to rest in the sunshine--it's good for your health and good for your mind...


Plant many trees and always have a large garden, then stop and smell the flowers...


Show patience, love, and gratitude for your family and friends because life changes quickly...


Learn how to recognize danger, and avoid it...


Never miss a sunrise...


Or a sunset...


And when the clouds begin to clear, never miss an opportunity to gaze up at the moon in awe.
It's a beautiful world.




(All photos by Darla Sue Dollman, all rights reserved.)












4 comments:

Corinne Rodrigues said...

Darla - Your words touched me deep! Your pictures are awesome. Love ya!

Darla Sue Dollman said...

Thank you so much, Corrine--they came from the heart, and my heart is full, yet always has room for more! Love you, too!

Psych Babbler said...

I love your lessons Darla... they are well worth learning...

Darla Sue Dollman said...

Thank you!