Thursday, March 7, 2013

Don't Forget to say "You're Important!"

My husband with his cat, who refuses to sleep at night unless he's lying in my husband's arm. 


My husband is training for a new job. He rises early in the morning and we watch one of our favorite television shows, then we walk our four dogs around 1 p.m. and he leaves for work at 2. He returns from work around midnight.

Today, while we were walking, I told him that I feed the dogs dinner then play with them at night and do a little writing, but sometimes I miss him so much when he's at work that I force myself to take a nap between 7 and 8 at night to make the time go faster, even when I'm not tired. 

He was shocked--not that I take a nap, but that I would miss him that much! I was shocked to discover he didn't know.

"Are you kidding?" I asked him. "The dogs start watching the door around 11:30, waiting for you to come home. The cat sits on the edge of the bed and stares at the door, then runs into the hallway when he hears your truck in the driveway. Sometimes, the cat will start howling when he hears your truck! We all miss you!" He laughed. He had no idea that his wife and little zoo of animals missed him.

As a writer, I tend to think of myself as an expert in communications. Obviously, there are areas in my life where my communication skills could use improvement. In this one aspect of life, one of the most important, my ability to express my love, I have failed to communicate to my husband just how important he is to me, and how much it means to me just to be around him. I will not continue to make that mistake.

No comments: